Dragons Lose at Chillicothe

The Cameron Dragons ran into a “hornet’s nest” last Friday, September 14th, in Chillicothe. The Hornets used a relentless ground game to eat time off the clock and grind out a 34-8 victory over the Dragons on a very warm night with little breeze.


       Cameron’s fast-strike offense only had the ball for a total of 17 minutes and 38 seconds, and was hampered by some key injuries and untimely penalties. Quarterback Tyler Campbell completed 14 of 25 passes, many under pressure, for a total of 139 yards and no TD’s. Dalton Fuller hauled in 3 passes for a total of 54 yards. Injuries and a stiff Hornet defense kept the ground game from gaining traction most of the game. There were some flashes of offense from Cameron, but the injuries and some penalties kept the Dragons from gaining consistency.


Cameron’s first offensive play was a nifty 44-yard keeper by Ty Campbell that excited Dragon fans, but that drive soon stalled. On their next possession, a completed pass was fumbled, with Chillicothe recovering. Cameron’s defense forced a fourth down. Chillicothe tossed a pass on the 4th down play that was intercepted by Cameron. Cameron took over on their own 5-yard line, drew a penalty flag, moving the ball half the distance to the goal. On the next play Campbell ran the ball out to the 20 for a first down. On third and five, Ty Speer’s reception and run to the 32 gave Cameron another first down. Shortly after, Elliot Turner caught a short pass for a 6-yard gain and another first down. The drive ended on an unsuccessful 4th down pass.



     Chillicothe then put together a scoring drive and a 2-point conversion, bringing the score to 14-0 in favor of Chillicothe. On the subsequent kickoff, Speer ran the ball back to the 41-yard line. On the first down play Cameron fumbled, but recovered. On second down Chillicothe intercepted a Campbell pass and ran it back 77 yards for a back-breaking score, making it 22-0 at the half. This sequence of plays seemed to typify Cameron’s night, with great plays. The Dragons fought hard, made some great plays, but were defeated by injuries and untimely turnovers.


       Chillicothe’s offense, led by Cade Koehly, consistently ran the ball off tackle for good yardage, grounding out 26 first downs to Cameron’s 11. The Hornet’s Colten Sewell and quarterback Jaden Winder both contributed to the Chillicothe ground effort. Winder only threw the ball 3 times, completing 2 for a total of 28 yards. The relentless ground attack, coupled with key Cameron injuries, ate up 30 minutes and 22 seconds of the game clock.


      Cameron Coach John Kliewer commented that “tonight didn’t go our way. We would get a big play then someone would get hurt, and it just killed our momentum, moment after moment. The injury bug hit us hard tonight”.  Coach Kliewer had praise for the Hornets: “Chillicothe did a great job of controlling the clock tonight. They weren’t fancy, but they executed well. They did a great job keeping the ball away from our offense”.


     Chillicothe is adapting to a new offensive scheme, which contributed, to their slow start this year, but as Coach Kliewer commented, “They’re starting to figure out the nuances of their new offense”. Looking to next week, Kliewer commented, “We’ll prepare with who’s healthy for next week. We’ll keep working to get better and better”.


     Next Friday, September 21st, is Cameron Homecoming. They will take on 3-1 Maryville in a Midland Conference game.


My Cameron News

BB Highway
P.O. Box 498
Cameron, MO 64429
PHONE: (816) 632-6543
FAX: (816) 632-4508
Email: editor@mycameronnews.com

Sign Up For Breaking News

Stay informed on our latest news!

Manage my subscriptions

Subscribe to Breaking News feed